When it comes to painting contractors, there are several companies to choose from. Sometimes it can be hard for a homeowner to choose even who to call and get an estimate from let alone narrowing down the options from what can be a long list of commercial and house painters. While there is no special procedure to follow during the painting estimate process, here are a few questions to ask any painting contractor you get a bid from.
- Is the company insured?
- You do not want to be left with the responsibility if there was an accident during the job.
- Does the company offer any type of workmanship warranty? If so, what are the details of the warranty?
- You’ll want to know what all is covered and for how long.
- Did the estimator give you a detailed estimate explaining what all work will be performed on your home?
- You should be left with little to no questions after meeting with the estimator.
- Will the same people be working on your home for the duration of the job?
- You will want to know how many different people you could expect to be at your home during this process.
- Will the price quoted be subject to change? (Be careful, some companies increase their price without notifying the homeowner).
- We can not stress how important it is to know exactly how much you will be paying during the process. There’s nothing worse than a surprise bill at the end.
- How long has the company been in business?
- Are they locally established or a fly by night “company”?
- When is payment due?
- It’s good to clarify when you will be expected to make payments. How much, if any is upfront? And what are the payment due dates upon completion.
- Does the estimator explain the painting process and what to expect in a clear manner?
- As it is your home or business that is being painted, you’ll want to know how long the process will take and what can be expected through each phase.
- Do they offer color consultations or help with colors?
- It is important to make the best color choice before you begin and a professional should be able to assist you with making the right decision.
- What type of paint do they use?
- This is where quality means the difference between your new paint job lasting years versus only lasting months.
At the end of the day, you have to be comfortable with the people you hire. It is always a good idea to get a few estimates from different companies. Some companies have different services they offer and you want to make sure that you are getting a fair price for the work you want done. Ask as many questions as you can and take your time to do some research on each company before you hire them. Reading online reviews and vising the BBB website are good tools to read about contractors and the experience previous customers have had with that company.
AMC Painting offers free in-home estimates. We guarantee that each client will always receive a firm written contract from us with a detailed explanation of work. Give us a call today to schedule an estimate and learn about the services we have to offer.